The list of names of hip hop dance moves below is what I learned in my journey with hip hop dance. It is not complete and will never be as our dances are still alive and growing every day. So there are potential new steps created every day.
Bold is the name of the move that I consider the correct one. Most of the time it’s the name I got taught.
(In parenthesis there are alternative names when written next to the name or general comments when in the back of the line).
In italic letters, I added additional info when I have it. The name after an s stand for source, meaning who I learned the move from. o stands for origin and is used whenever a move is from another style imported into hip hop.
Some of the names have a link. It leads you to a clip of the move.
Before you check out the list…
If you want to find out how to make the most out of the moves you already know, grab a free copy of 7 Questions To Ask Every Move when signing up for my email list, or take a look at some of the concepts I presented here on the blog.
List of Hip Hop Steps and Moves
- The Wop. s Link
- Running Man (Link doing the Running Man).
- Mike Tyson. s Tarek
- Gucci. s Buddha Stretch
- Smurf. s Buddha Stretch & Mr. Wiggles (2 different versions)
- Steve Martin (Link doing it). s Marcio Ratinho
- Robocop. s Suga Pop
- Stomp. s Link
- BK Bounce (Brooklyn Bounce, Criss Cross). s Buddha Stretch
- ATL/A-Town Stomp. s Buddha Stretch
- Harlem Shake. s Link
- Dice Game. s Marcio Ratinho
- Roger Rabbit (Reject). s Budda Stretch
- Bart Simpson. s Buddha Stretch
- The Prep. s Link
- Wu-Tang. s Buddha Stretch
- Bankhead Bounce. s Link
- Monastery. s Yuljah (It is spelled differently in the clip, but I believe that is a typo)
- The Snake.
- Janet Jackson (Janet, Barbie). s Marcio Ratinho
- Kick Ball Change (Flintstone). s Storm
- The Guess.
- Party Machine/Spongebob/Criss Cross. s Buddha Stretch
- Leo Walk. s Flomaster o Locking
- Shamrock. s Niako
- C-Walk. s Buddha Stretch o Gang Ritual
- Fila/Rambo. s Buddha Stretch
- Walk it out. s Buddha Stretch
- Tone Whop. s Buddha Stretch
- Pepper Seed. s Link o Dancehall
- Penguin. s V-cell
- Upstairs Downstairs (Up & Down).
- Funky Penguin.
- Happy Feet. s Link
- Crazy Legs. s Peppi Meilinger
- Toss it up. s Buddha Stretch
- The Freak. s da Bürgermasta
- Patty Duke. s Mister Wiggles
- Brooklyn Stomp.
- Pacman (Crab).
- Lite Feet.
- Bizmarkie. s El Fonky Juice
- James Brown (Good Foot). s Storm
- Baseball Bat.
- Bad One.
- Chicken Noodle Soup.
- Old Man. s Storm o Popping
- Chicken Neck. s Brian Green
- Cat Daddy (Tina Turner).
- Ney Ney (Nae Nae). s Link
- Alf. s Suga Pop
- Bobby Brown (Cold Duck). s Suga Pop
- Sophisticated Sissy. s Suga Pop
- Cabbage Patch. s Suga Pop
- Camel Walk. (Kamel Walk) s Suga Pop
- Holly Pill. s Mister Wiggles
- Walking Backwards. s Mister Wiggles
- Spanish Freak. s Mister Wiggles
- Reebok. s Link
- Gigolo. s Link
- Butterfly. s Buddha Stretch o Dancehall
- Run It. s Buddha Stretch
I also have a list of moves and steps from house dance.
And if you are ready to dig deeper into the possibilities that your moves offer, check out my book Dance Smart, which covers 36 concepts to work with your moves.