Usually when a dancer travels to a new city you already have a contact from some dancers there who shows you around and introduces you to the best places. As I took a break from dancing in the last two years due to becoming a daddy, I am trying to catch up with what happened in the Austrian scene and which places are a must-know. I still can’t travel all the places myself and so I reached out to the community in person and on social media to find out where to go.
This list is for sure not complete but if you have spots or events to add, shoot me a message per email, in the comments or via any social media channel and I will add whatever you got. Thank you everyone for the support. Let’s check out Vienna and let me know which city we shall cover next.
The first question that comes up most of the time: “where can we practise”? Here is a shortlist of places you can check out.
- The skatepark at the subway station “Längenfeldgasse” is a spot that b-boys and b-girls from Vienna use for practice
- Same goes for the halfpipe on the Donauinsel (thx for these two tips to Rudi Natterer)
- There is an Open Floor for all styles, that is happening twice a month, most of the time with the support of a DJ. Dates are available in the Facebook Group. (thx for this one to Tina Rauter)
- Tuesdays there is a breaking Open Floor at Fünferhaus. 18:00 to 20:00. (thx for sharing to Jan Janko)
- Also on Tuesdays, there is another Open Floor at WUK. 21:00. (thx Maira West and Kai Vel)
Good parties are hard to find. For now, we have two of them to check out:
- A party called Jack is
a newmonthly club night. Finest house vibes will make you move in no time. (highly recommended by Tina Rauter and Maira West)
- Funk Food brings the music to the masses, so you can seriously get down. I quote from their own page: The crowd is a beautiful representation of New York City soul and Vienna home-grown urban style. (shared by Mark Rodriguez,
- Eat Slay Love is Vienna’s premier Voguing Event hosted by
PlenvmNinja. Infos about it and more stuff on the thriving Vienna Voguing scene including classes, workshops and more parties isavailable on the facebook page of Voguing Vienna. Rockstepis a monthly Swing and Lindy Hop Party serving the music and dance culture from the late 20s to early 50s. Check the events section of Aera Wien for the next dates. (thx for the recommendation to Arne Haubner)
- New Style Hustle – Vienna brings you sessions where you can enjoy the free exchange of two beautiful souls unified in dance.
Studios, Classes and Workshops
Sadly I don’t know all of these studios by myself so I have to provide a simple list without comments. As soon as I find the time to check them out, I will add more infos.
And more to come
I hope this list will be alive and grow whenever I have the time to visit Vienna and when residents share their dance spots. I also want to add events and spot that are indirectly related
Thx to everyone for the support.